Your Discharge Planning Checklist:
For patients and their caregivers preparing to leave a hospital, nursing home, or other care setting
By the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
During your stay, your doctor and the staff will work with you to plan for your discharge. You and your caregiver (a family member or friend who may be helping you) are important members of the planning team. You and your caregiver can use this checklist to prepare for your discharge.
- Use this checklist early and often during your stay.
- Talk to your doctor and the staff (like a discharge planner, social worker, or nurse) about the items on this checklist.
- Check the box next to each item when you and your caregiver complete it.
- Use the notes column to write down important information (like names and phone numbers).
- Skip any items that don’t apply to you.